Hello, thanks for stopping by.... if you're reading this I hope you'll stop by and visit my updated site www.susiebhomemaker.com :)

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Surviving a Snow Day...

...when it's too cold to send the kids outside!

Where we're at here in Michigan, the kids had their very first snow day of the year.  And Tuesday will be the 2nd snow day of the year.  So how to keep your kids from bouncing off the walls while they're cooped up in the house and keep your sanity too?

My oldest is 5 and only goes to Kindergarten half day so this wasn't too much of a change for us.  But it was still an extra three hours having her home instead of at school.  Three extra hours to fight with her 2 year old sister and bug me to go play outside in the snow... except that it was only 9° (with a wind chill making it feel like -5°) so I couldn't send her outside!
Thank goodness for kids shows on tv, and finally new holiday episodes so I don't have to wear earplugs while they're watching them (it can be rough hearing the same songs over and over).  So the girls watched some of those, also good ol' coloring book and crayons and playdoh helps to keep the kiddos occupied.

If you have older kids, hopefully you have all the goodies- video games, computer, ipod... stuff to keep them entertained.  And hopefully you also have plenty of food and snacks on hand to keep their tummy's full- hungry kids are always cranky!
If you're up for more hands-on activities, a craft or some baking (what kid doesn't like frosting and eating Christmas cookies) is something most younger kids, and older as well, will enjoy.  Here's a few websites for some easy holiday craft ideas, depending on what you have on hand:
I think we'll be attempting to make some simple homemade ornaments for the tree tomorrow.  And hopefully I'll have some pics for Wordless Wednesday. 
If your kids also have a snow day, what will you be doing?

3 Comments:

Sarah, Arik and Avas Mommy said...

I was supposed to have gone to a cookie exchange, so today, I plan on eating a bunch of cookies myself... with the kids' help, of course!

Thanks for the links and the great ideas for snow days! :-)

Daniele said...

Thanks for the site ideas, we are in the SAME boat with weather here in Chicago! Way too cold for the girls to go outside...
We are home most of the week...I am always doing crafts and art with them :)

Debbie said...

It is always good to have a few things put back for those snowy days!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I love getting comments... and yes, I do read them all! :)