Hello, thanks for stopping by.... if you're reading this I hope you'll stop by and visit my updated site www.susiebhomemaker.com :)

Thursday, October 14, 2010

New Site Design... Yea or Nay?

So I opted for a new look... is it permanent, I'm not entirely sure yet?  I love a lot of the design, but it's hard to change after having things a certain way for so long.  It also brought to mind companies and their logos.  Specifically, the recent GAP logo gaffe is what I keep coming back to.

If you didn't see or hear about it, they changed their logo last week from the well-known iconic blue box:

To this:
It only lasted 1 week, after an outcry across the web deemed the new logo as ugly among other things and unnecessary.  So Gap admitted they made a mistake and went back to their original logo, posting on their Facebook wall:

“Ok. We’ve heard loud and clear that you don’t like the new logo. We’ve learned a lot from the feedback. We only want what’s best for the brand and our customers. So instead of crowd sourcing, we’re bringing back the Blue Box tonight.

But it makes one wonder, they aren't the first to try to change their logo only to have the public lash out, ie. Tropicana.

Are people just scared of change?  Do we like the familiar and comfortable?  Change can be progressive, sometimes necessary, but does it all go back to the saying, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'...? 

I know my blog look hasn't been around for nearly as long as the above companies, but as blog owners our site look, layout, and design are all part of our branding.  Our readers get used to things a certain way when visiting our site.  I know I have seen some blogs change for the better and others change and I don't quite feel the same about them that I used to.

So do you think I should've changed the design, or kept it as is?  For those with poor memories ;p here's a window snip from my old look:

Good, bad, or indifferent... what do you think?

5 Comments:

Liz Mays said...

Blogs have the ability to change and it's accepted. Companies however... When they have reached the level where they have an iconic trademark, they're NUTS to change it.

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

I like the new design, looks great!

Felicia said...

I love it! I am so bad about changing my blog look, I think its the left over myspacer in me that just will not die off.

I love the layout of this one...in fact I almost want to steal it. =)

Amy @ Marvelous Mommy said...

I don't like the new Gap logo. I definitely think they should stick with the old one.

As far as your blog, I can't say it enough, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new blog design!

Alicia said...

Your new layout: Love
Gap's new logo: not so much

It did take me a second to figure out exactly what blog you were, so it might take a while for your readers to get used to it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog a week or so ago. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I love getting comments... and yes, I do read them all! :)

Labels

baby (17) beauty (4) blogging (38) Book Reviews (13) cleaning (4) crafts (6) eco-friendly (12) family (51) giveaways (81) health (29) holidays (31) Kids (80) marriage (3) parenting (7) photography (20) recipes (9) reviews (60) shopping (9) technology (10) toddlers (25)

Blog Archive

Member Of

Pear Tree Greetings Pearista
Blog Search
The Product Review Place
Business 2 Blogger
One2One Badges
Mom Select - Bringing Companies and Moms Together
Mom Fuse POP Blogger
blog pr