Hello, thanks for stopping by.... if you're reading this I hope you'll stop by and visit my updated site www.susiebhomemaker.com :)

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Are Marie Callender's Pot Pies really Better than Homemade?

Is it possible that something store bought can taste as good as homemade, or even better than homemade?  According to the article "8 Grocery Store Products that are Better than Homemade (really)" it is possible.

One of the items on that list is Marie Callender's Pot Pies... a frozen pot pie!  Could a frozen pot pie seriously be better than homemade?   I was given the opportunity to try one for myself and find out.
I'll be honest, I was more than a little skeptical.  Most frozen meals I've tried have fallen far short of tasting anything like homemade.  The meat is the biggest problem for me- the texture usually doesn't resemble actual meat and tends to be fatty.  When I make anything homemade with meat, I always trim any excess fat off.

I tried the Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie with chicken of course and peas, carrots, and celery.  You can cook it in a conventional oven or for ultimate convenience in the microwave, with their new baking tray right in the box.  Most frozen foods taste better from the oven, but I really wanted to put it to the test so I opted for the microwave... and it was so much faster.
It definitely exceeded my expectations!  The crust turned out really well, even in the microwave it came out golden brown and flaky.  Inside there were big chunks of white meat chicken... and no fat or gristle to chew on.  Great tasting filling with carrots and peas mixed in.  I think the negatives for me was that I didn't really notice much celery and that you can't control the sodium amount when buying frozen.

So how did Marie Callender's Pot Pies ultimately stack up?  Did they actually taste better than homemade?  Well at the risk of offending all cook's and grandmother's out there, I'm going to say... pretty darn close!  The taste was definitely just as delicious as homemade, and what made it better than homemade was the fact that I didn't have to slave over a hot stove to make it!!

Disclosure:  I received a product for the purpose of this review and was also compensated by Marie Callender's and The Motherhood.  All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and completely honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I love getting comments... and yes, I do read them all! :)

Labels

baby (17) beauty (4) blogging (38) Book Reviews (13) cleaning (4) crafts (6) eco-friendly (12) family (51) giveaways (81) health (29) holidays (31) Kids (80) marriage (3) parenting (7) photography (20) recipes (9) reviews (60) shopping (9) technology (10) toddlers (25)

Blog Archive

Member Of

Pear Tree Greetings Pearista
Blog Search
The Product Review Place
Business 2 Blogger
One2One Badges
Mom Select - Bringing Companies and Moms Together
Mom Fuse POP Blogger
blog pr