Hello, thanks for stopping by.... if you're reading this I hope you'll stop by and visit my updated site www.susiebhomemaker.com :)

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Birth Story... Mother's Day Mania!


I'm linking up with Mama M. over at My Little Life for Mother's Day Mania.  Thursday's theme is Birth Stories... the day we became Mommies!  I am very late with this post but here it is...

I became a mom almost 5 years ago.  We were living down south at the time and summer was just beginning.  I was 2 days past my due date and had a Dr. appt. that morning at 8am.  I went in and started having contractions (very mild) while at my appt.  The nurses in the office said, 'we'll see you later tonight' (*wink, wink*) and off I went to enjoy the day.  My hubby and I went home for lunch then headed over to a local park.  The park had a pond with a walking path that we strolled around... well who am I kidding- I waddled.  For dinner we had lasagane already pre-made, we had been planning in anticipation of this day.  Throughout the day my contractions progressed and got stronger at times and more regular.  So eventually around 2 am I decided it was time to go to the hospital.  When we got to the hospital they checked me and I was only dilated 2cm so they couldn't admit me.  They said I had to be at 4, so I could either walk around the hospital or go home and try to get some sleep (YEAH RIGHT).  So we opted to go back home.  I always knew I wanted to give birth naturally and that I would rather labor at home without the assistance of pain medication.

During the night I labored by myself (which was how I wanted it... I have very little recollection of my hubby even being there). I spent the night pacing around the living room, getting on hands & knees, leaning over furniture... my hubby meanwhile was actually puking in the bathroom from seeing me in so much pain.  I only found this out later after he told me... I was really out of it obviously!  So finally shortly before 10am I knew it was time to go back to the hospital.  I had sat down to use the bathroom and felt the urge to PUSH!

When we got to the hospital, they checked me and I was dilated to 8cm.  So they got me set up in the room and brought in the doctor.  My water had not broke on it's own yet so the Dr. went it and broke it for me.   This labor had been long & hard but the hardest part was actually going from 8 to 10cm.  I wanted to push like you would not believe (well unless you're also a mom).  At one point I remember telling the nurse I needed something and she said, 'well it's too late for that'.  So when the Dr. finally said, 'You're dilated to 10 now', I had no hesitation when I gave my first push!  My hubby was on one side and the nurse on the other.  Every push had determination behind it- I wanted this baby out... NOW!!  And about 20 min. later my baby girl came into the world!  She was 6 lbs, 15.7 oz. and absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

That was still to this day, one of the hardest things I've had to go thru (from beginning to end, 28 hours of labor)... but it was so worth it!  And since that day almost 5 years ago, I've given birth to 2 more precious baby girls.  I am so blessed!



Debbie's L'Bri said...

What a nice story... I remember with my second child being in labor and having to stop many times be hind a school bus. I didn't like that at all.

Susan said...

Sweet story!

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I love getting comments... and yes, I do read them all! :)